Office: 1.1.D.20 Phone: (+34) 91 624 6210 Email: mssanz @ ing.uc3m.es
Mario Sánchez Sanz obtained his degree in Mechanical Engineering at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in 2002. He joined the PhD program of this university, obtaining his doctorate in May 2007 in the Mathematical Engineering program under the supervision of prof. Antonio Sanchez and prof. Amable Liñán
During his PhD, Mario stayed for nine moths in the Center of Energy Research of the University of California at San Diego as a visitor researcher in the group of prof. Forman Williams. He also visited during four months the Mathematics Department of the University of East Anglia where he worked with prof. Mark Blyth and prof. Norman Riley.
After his graduation in May 2007, he moved to the School of Aeronautics of the Polytechnic University of Madrid where he got a position as an assistant professor. During that time, he initiated a research collaboration with the mechanical departments of Yale University and the University of California in Berkeley, leaded by prof. Mich Smooke and prof. Carlos Fernández-Pello respectively, where he has stayed in different periods doing research in numerical combustion and MEMS.
In september 2011 he moved back to the Fluid Mechanics department of the University Carlos III as a visiting professor, becoming associate professor in June 2012.
Mario's research interest focuses on the application of asymptotic, perturbations and numerical methods to the analysis of laminar reacting and non-reacting flows. The previous generic description includes problems of heat and mass transfer, microfluidics, analysis of laminar jets with and without combustion, MEMS, etc...
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, A.L. Sanchez, A. Liñán. "Fronts in High temperature laminar gas jets", J. Fluid Mech. (2006), vol. 547, pp. 257–266 . PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, M. G. Blyth. "Unsteady axisymmetric stagnation flow over a cylinder". Q. Jl Mech. Appl. Math. (2007), Vol. 60. No. 2, pp. 125-138. PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, A.L. Sanchez, A. Liñán "Laminar cold jets in high temperature atmospheres" New Trends in Fluid Mechanics Research, Tsinghua University Press & Springer, 2007. ISBN 978-7-302-15894-3. PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, B. Fernández, A. Velázquez. "Energy Harvesting Micro-Resonator Based on the Forces Generated by the Karman Street around a Rectangular Cylinder". Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 18, N. 2, April 2009 PDF
- -N. Riley, M. Sánchez-Sanz, E. Watson. "A planar pulsating Jet". Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2009), 638, 161-172 PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, A. Velazquez "Vortex-induced vibration of a prism in internal flow". Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2009), volume 641, pp. 431-440, PDF
- -S. Terhaar, A. Velázquez, J. Arias, M. Sánchez-Sanz "Experimental study on the unsteady laminar heat transfer downstream of a backward facing step". International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 37 (2010) 457–462. PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, M. Rosales, A.L. Sanchez. " The hydrogen laminar jet", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 (2010) 3919–3927
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, A.L. Sanchez, A. Liñán. " Variable-Density Jet Flows Induced by Concentrated sources of Momentum and Energy". Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Volume 25, Number 5, 281-292 (2011). PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, B.A. Bennett, M. D. Smooke, A. Liñán."Influence of Strouhal number on pulsating methane/air coflow jet diffusion flames".Combustion Theory and Modelling, Volume 14 Issue 3, 453 (2010). PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, A. Velázquez, " Passive control of vortex induced vibration in internal flow using body shape ". Journal of fluids and structures, Volume 27, Issue 7, October 2011, Pages 976-985. PDF
- -J. Carpio, M. Sánchez-Sanz, E. Fernández-Tarrazo, " Pinch-off in forced and non-forced, buoyant laminar jet diffusion flames ".Volume 159, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 161-169. PDF
- -M. Sánchez-Sanz, "Premixed flame extinction in narrow channels with and without heat recirculation", Combustion and Flame 159 (2012) 3158–3167.
- -V. Kurdyumov, M. Sánchez-Sanz, "Influence of radiation losses on the stability of premixed flames on a porous-plug burner", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 34, issue 1, 2013, Pages 989–996. PDF
- - M. Sánchez-Sanz, D Fernández-Galisteo, VN Kurdyumov, " Effect of the equivalence ratio, Damköhler number, Lewis number and heat release on the stability of laminar premixed flames in microchannels", Combustion and Flame, Volume 161, Issue 5, May 2014, Pages 1282–1293.PDF
- - D. Fernández-Galisteo, C. Jiménez, V. N. Kurdyumov, M. Sánchez-Sanz "The differential diffusion effect of the intermediate species on the stability of premixed flames propagating in microchannels", Combustion Theory and Modelling, Volume 18, Issue 4-5, 2014 PDF
- - M. Sánchez-Sanz, D. Murphy, C. Fernández-Pello, "Effect of an external electric field on the propagation velocity of a premixed flame.", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Volume 35, Issue 3, 2015, Pages 3463–3470 PDF
- E Fernández-Tarrazo, M Sánchez-Sanz, AL Sánchez, FA Williams, "Minimum ignition energy of methanol–air mixtures", Combustion and Flame 171, 234-236, 2016, PDF
- E Fernández-Tarrazo, M Sánchez-Sanz, AL Sánchez, FA Williams, "A multipurpose reduced chemical-kinetic mechanism for methanol combustion", Combustion Theory and Modelling, Volume 20, issue 4, Pages 613-631, 2016, PDF
- M Sánchez-Sanz, E Fernández-Tarrazo, AL Sánchez, "Regimes of boundary-layer ignition by heat release from a localized energy source", Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2016, in press, PDF
Phd Thesis: Laminar gas jets with extreme jet-to-ambient density ratios
Mechanical Engineering Yale University
Center of Energy ResearchUniversity of California at San Diego
Mathematics department University of East Anglia
Aerothermochemistry (pdf) Aerothermochemistry (Gregorio Millán and T. Von Karman)
Dimensional Analysis (pdf) P. W. Bridgman.
Pics and videos
Laminar pulsating flame jet
Pulsating CH4 flame jet St=05, A=05
Stochiometric Propane flame propagating in a LxH=500 mm x 150 mm chamber and width h=2, 4 and 6 mm