Office: 1.1.D.20 Phone: (+34) 91 624 6210 Email: asevilla @ ing.uc3m.es
Alejandro Sevilla Santiago received his degree in Physics (5 year programme) at the Faculty of Physics of the Autónoma University of Madrid in the year 1999. After finishing his studies he moved as a teaching assistant to Carlos III University, where he got his Master (2001) and PhD (2004) degrees in Engineering Mathematics under the supervision of Profs. Carlos Martínez-Bazán and José Manuel Gordillo. His thesis research concerned the experimental and theoretical study of the dynamics of bubble formation in a co-flow configuration at high Reynolds numbers.
In 2005 he was awarded a “Juan de la Cierva” fellowship at the School of Aeronautics of the Polytechnic University of Madrid. During that year, he stayed for 6 months as a post-doctoral researcher at the Physics of Fluids Group of Twente University (The Netherlands). During 2006-2009 he moved to the University of Jaén, where he worked as Assistant Professor at the School of Engineering.
In 2009 he got a position as an Assistant Professor at the Fluid Mechanics Group of Carlos III University of Madrid, followed by his current position as an Associate Professor at the same institution.
- Dynamics of bubble and droplet formation and break-up in laminar flows
- Hydrodynamic stability of jets and wakes
- I. Chakraborty, M. Rubio-Rubio, A. Sevilla, J.M. Gordillo, "Numerical simulation of axisymmetric drop formation using a coupled level set and volume of fluid method", Int. J. Multiphase Flow (accepted)
- R. Bolaños-Jiménez, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, "The necking time of gas bubbles in liquids of arbitrary viscosity", Phys. Fluids 28, 042105 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4944973
- R. Bolaños-Jiménez, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, "Modeling of the bubbling process in a planar co-flow configuration", Int. J. Multiphase Flow 82, 86-92 (2016). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301932215301075
- J. Rodríguez-Rodríguez, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, J. M. Gordillo, "Generation of Microbubbles with Applications to Industry and Medicine", Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 47, 405-429 (2015). http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-fluid-010814-014658
- C. Gutiérrez-Montes, R. Bolaños-Jiménez, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, " Bubble formation in a planar water–air–water jet: Effects of the nozzle geometry and the injection conditions", Int. J. Multiphase Flow 65, 38-50 (2014). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301932214000937
- J. I. Jiménez-González, A. Sevilla, E. Sanmiguel-Rojas, C. Martínez-Bazán, "Global stability analysis of the axisymmetric wake past a spinning bullet-shaped body", J. Fluid Mech. 748, 302-327 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2014.187. arXiv preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.0803
- J. M. Gordillo, A. Sevilla, F. Campo-Cortés, "Global stability of stretched jets: conditions for the generation of monodisperse micro-emulsions using coflows", J. Fluid Mech. 738, 335-357 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2013.600. arXiv Preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.2223
- M. Rubio-Rubio, A. Sevilla, J.M. Gordillo, "On the thinnest steady threads obtained by gravitational stretching of capillary jets", J. Fluid Mech. 729, 471-483 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2013.322
- J. I. Jiménez-González, E. Sanmiguel-Rojas, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, "Laminar flow past a spinning bullet-shaped body at moderate angular velocities", J. Fluids Struct. 43, 200-219 (2013). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889974613001503
- C. Gutiérrez-Montes, R. Bolaños-Jiménez, A. Sevilla, C. Martínez-Bazán, "Experimental and numerical study of the periodic bubbling regime in planar co-flowing air-water sheets", Int. J. Multiphase Flow 50, 106-119 (2013). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301932212001620
- W. Coenen, A. Sevilla, "The structure of the absolutely unstable regions in the near field of low-density jets", J. Fluid Mech. 713, 123-149 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2012.441
- W. Coenen, A. Sevilla, A. L. Sánchez, "Viscous stability analysis of jets with discontinuous base profiles", Eur. J. Mech. B/Fluids 36, 128-138 (2012). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0997754612000507
Present PhD Students
- Paula Consoli Lizzi, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (co-advised with Wilfried Coenen)
- Carlos Manglano Villamarín, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (co-advised with José Ignacio Jiménez-González and Wilfried Coenen)
- Daniel Gómez Lendínez, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (co-advised with Wilfried Coenen)
- Alejandro Martínez Calvo, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid